Sunday 12 February 2012

Woman In Black - Movie Review - "I just saw a ghost, time for some paperwork!" - SICKorSHIT - Dans Verdict

Plot "A young lawyer travels to a remote village where he discovers the vengeful ghost of a scorned woman is terrorizing the locals." imdb


When the trailer came out for this film I was pumped! Pumped beyond belief! The trailer was chilling and visually stunning with an incredibly spine tingling score that haunted my dreams (unfortunately that song wasn't even included in the fucking film!). To add more to my excitement, during buying my tickets I saw my friends coming out of the cinema and they were  telling me how terrifying this movie was. Needless to say...I was pumped!

Snazzy haircut 


The film started off slowly and didn't become a horror film until about 35 minutes in. The story line up to that point seemed intensely generic and the acting was below par.


The acting in this film was not amazing but Daniel Radcliffe did seem to be more adult. It was going to be hard for him to deliver his first starring role outside the Harry Potter franchise but he seemed to pull it off. There wasn't many other characters in this dark gothic movie, so the whole movie rested on his shoulders.



The look of this movie was stunning. The setting was beautiful and so was the very old house. The dreamy sequences that took place back in the history of this film were haunting and magnificent to look at. The score was very creepy indeed with a throwback to old haunted house movies.

Okay, now I talk about why I hated this movie, the "scares". Throughout this film there were so many cheap "pop-up" or "jumpscares" that I couldn't count. Some were actually fairly scary and imprinted an image on my mind that I will never shake off.....and some were shit coming out of a tap and a bird flying at the camera....

The film became ridiculously repetitive. (SPOILERS) Daniel Radcliffe went to the village, the villiagers tell him to go away, he goes to the house, he sees many ghosts, he leaves the house, some child in the village dies, the villigars tell him to leave, he goes back to the house, sees a ghost, he leaves the house, a child in the village dies, the villiagers tell him to leave, he goes back to the house, sees a ghost, he leaves the house, the villiagers tell him to leave.......he leaves....he dies (END OF SPOILERS)

The scares are just too repetitive and you know they are coming. It was ridiculous, there was over probably 15 jumpscares in one film, AND HE DOESN'T EVEN REACT! Daniel Radcliffe sees a fricking ghost in a rocking chair, a woman in the front garden, fucking children rising from their graves....... then goes and does some paper work.....a normal day in the office!


I would probably still say this film is SICK but it gets to the point where I want to say its SHIT because of its obvious pop ups and its repetitve story line. The only thing saving this film from being SHIT is the set design, the few good scares, the cinematography and the atmosphere of the cinema I was in. I would give this movie a C+



Find us on...




Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/SICKSHIThorror
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/SICKorSHIThorror/210763212346494
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SICKorSHIThorror

No comments:

Post a Comment